Sunday 12 February 2012

My Top 10 Tools

My good friend Natalie loves lists! She good at making them and you can read them on her blog My Two Left Hands. Being with Natalie yesterday afternoon reminded me that I wanted to do a blog entry about my top 10 tools...scrapbooking tools that I cannot live without.

Here we go.

10. Craft Heater

A craft heater is essential to me because of some of the products I use. Waiting for Glimmer Mist to dry is painful! It would take me forever to finish a page is I had to wait for stuff to air dry. Also, I recently started heat embossing (much to my dismay - I always said that I would NEVER get into heat embossing!). Heat embossing is difficult without the heat!

I use the Heat It Craft Tool by Ranger Ink:

 



9. Sponge

Inking edges of pictures and/or paper is more controlled and a lot easier with sponges. I use dabbers like these:

 


I also use Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool and Foam:
 



8. Die Cut Machine

Die cut machines comes all sorts of shapes and prices. If I had to pick just one, I couldn't. I'm the current owner of a Cricut Expression. I have the first generation. The link brings you to the Cricut Expression 2. You have to buy cartridges and they can be quite expensive. Regardless, the possibilities are endless with this machine. I should really take a class to get to know all its uses.

This is the one I own:
I said I couldn't pick just one because I really really REALLY want a Big Shot. Instead of cartridges, you have to buy dies. This is Big Shot (small pictures...sorry!):

 


Really, I could live with just one of the two but I'm a princess and I want both darn it!


7. Ruler

I'm no scrapbooking perfectionist but I still find many uses for a ruler. Especially one designed as well for scrapbooking purposes as the Tim Holtz Design Ruler:

 


The ruler is double-sided. One side has the traditional 0-12 inch markings. The other side is split in two: 6-0 (the centre is 0) and then 0-6. Very useful!


6. Edge Distresser

The edge distresser is great for distressing paper (the paper edges can then be inked or not). It's very simple, the harder your press, the more the edge is distressed.

Distressed is a great look. I often use it on one or two elements on a layout. My friend Nathalie from The Creative Cellar is AMAZING at the complete distressed look.

I use the Close to My Heart edge distresser. The CTMH catalogue did not allow me to save a picture of it. If you're interested, see their idea book. The best part about this particular edge distresser: the price! Only $2.50!


5. Piercing tool

I love my piercing tool! I use to make holes for brads, to make a mark for placement (of paper, flowers, etc) and glue small items. I use it on every scrapbook page I make.

I use the Tim Holtz Craft Pick:

 



4. File

I love to file the edge of my pictures. It gives the impression that the pictures are matted without using any cardstock. You can also ink the edges of the pictures afterwards for more drama.

I use the Basic Grey Precision File Set and cannot scrapbook without it!

 



3. Craft Mat

When you use inks, mists and/or do heat embossing, a craft mat is essential. My advice, invest in the biggest one you can find...but they are expensive. I use the Inkssentials Non-Stick Craft Sheet. The thing is practically indestructible!





2. Scissors

As I left-handed person, scissors have always been the bane of my existence. But I use them on every layout so it was important for me to find a good pair that worked for me.

I seem to be repeating myself in product lines but I use Tim Holtz Non-Stick Scissors:
 


They are the best scissors I've every used.


1. Trimmer

This is my #1 tool. I use it constantly. Good thing replacement blades are available. Buy any Fiskars trimmer and you'll be happy with it!











Honourable Mention

I finished this list and I realized that I hadn't even talked about punches! I love punches, especially borders punches. So, I would like to give an honourable mention to punches. My favour border punches are made by EK Success. Here is an example of one:







I hope you liked my list! Do you agree or would you have a different list?


Happy scrappin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment